Saturday, June 12, 2010

Starting out with Blues

So as I start out this project of learning to play some basic blues on the piano, I thought I should document my starting point, as your basic elementary pianist. I restarted my piano playing using traditional classical teaching repertoire, stuff around the level of the first half of Bach's Minuet in G, and this Telemann Gavotte. I'm pretty comfortable reading music, though I'm no brilliant sight reader. I enjoy studying music theory, and then seeing/hearing it enact itself in the pieces I'm learning.

I started out by learning the following left hand patterns, and just practicing keeping a steady grove in the key of C (swung eighths). I found a rhythm built into my Casio PX-120 called "boogie-woogie" which works well with this sort of practice.
It's kind of zen -- to get it to sound right, I need to get sucked into the rhythmic trance, but if I get sucked in too far some inner alertness goes passive, my beat falters, and my inner dancer stumbles and gets peeved.


For the first few days I concentrated on this stuff, and gradually worked up to repeating some very simplistic right hand melody patterns while my left hand played the first of the four patterns above. This took lots of work for me -- I am still quite challenged by coordinating differing activities between the two hands. The other night I had a breakthrough, though, where I broke my melody/harmony snippets down into sequences of three eighth-notes (both hands together), and learned each one (not hard) then moved on to the next (overlapping) one. After doing that, they all came together into a whole amazingly smoothly. Must remember that technique.

Yesterday I started learning the blues chord progression, played thus (more or less: I figured out a better ending, but haven't figured out how to write it down yet).

 I can play just the bassline at 105 bpm, but hands together I am barely half that speed, and I do still struggle to make the chord changes without losing my place with the piano's built in rhythm section.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tangleweed! I also am at PW and C & F! I am more on PW lately since my sweetie got me a keyboard for Xmas. How do you get these musical notes on your blog?

    Thanks for the blues chord progression! Isn't piano great!!! Although I do miss my whistle...I'm trying to concentrate on piano as I have never done it before, so I'm going slow!

    Nice to see you at Piano World! Gotta get over and see what's happening over at Chiff lately.

    Take care,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a notation program to enter the music by hand, and then take a screen shot of the score and save it as a gif. I use Sibelius as a notation program (Sibelius First is not astronomically expensive). I did the screen capture with the Mac's built in screen capture utility, called Grab.

    I find that having a good notation program is really helpful on a number of levels. Forcing myself to write out my musical ideas makes musical notation come alive for me -- seeing what it looks like when the notes expresses the musical snippet that's been circling my head is very enlightening and empowering.

    And then there's the convenience of being able to scan in music that I don't have CDs for, so I can hear what it sounds like. This takes some tweaking with the scanner settings, but when it works, it's like magic -- I can hear the music from the printed page (and decide, no, I don't want to learn that one...).

    ReplyDelete