Friday, June 25, 2010

New Digital Piano!

My Casio Privia PX-120 developed a malfunction, but I was able to return it to Costco for a refund (excellent reason to shop at Costco). So I got a Casio PX-330 instead, which has most if not all of the features I'd been vaguely wishing the PX-120 had. I went with Sweetwater because of their extended warranty and reputation for good customer service, since Costco wasn't carrying Casio keyboards anymore. I don't know if Sweetwater's regular free shipping gives 3-day delivery (instead of regular ground shipping which would have taken 4-5 days to the west coast), or whether they shipped it faster because we had a irritating little snafu with our credit card, but anyway, 3-day service turned out to be 2-day service and my new piano arrived yesterday!

:^)  :D  :^)  :D  :^)

In the interim between the time the old DP went away and the new one arrived, I was playing my old semi-weighted keyboard, and the weird, springy touch on that had not only been irritating, but it had also started giving me hand pain, to the extent that for a couple of days my main music practice shifted to tapping out syncopated rhythms in one hand against a steady beat in the other, away from the keyboard. So it was a special pleasure when the new improved digital piano arrived.

I'm still exploring its many features, manual in hand. The touch and responsiveness of the keyboard is much improved over the PX-120, as are the main piano sounds. I've found some good built in rhythms to play my blues and ragtime with. There are many buttons with multiple labels & functions, which are going to take me a while to sort out.

I'm looking forward to being able load MIDIs into the piano. The plan is to scan in my scores via PhotoScore Lite into Sibelius, and then export from Sibelius to MIDI files, which, if I set them up right, can be used for hands-separate practice by the piano. This will be particularly helpful since I am working on pieces with syncopated right-hand parts, and it would be nice to practice the syncopated hand alone, but have the auditory reference of the steady left hand rhythm playing along. The manual says I can also loop parts of the MIDIs, which sounds like it will be very handy, since I do a lot of looping on troublesome phrases.

So today's goal is to figure out how to connect the computer to the DP and transfer files. But first I've gotta dig out an blasted USB cord...

No comments:

Post a Comment